2.24.2011

i did it!

i ran a mile.
on the car ride home today from work i just couldn't stop thinking about how i wanted to be a runner again. in the middle of my self pity i heard this annoyed voice inside of me (i think it was God) say,
"well then, stop whining and do it!"
i think my parents might have said that to me before too.
so in my pimp car i decided to run. i told myself that when i got home i would immediately put on my running shoes and sweats, hit the track at the nearest school, and just do it. i told myself i would not stop running until i ran a full mile--NO STOPPING!!
so i did. i wanted to stop so bad 4 different times.
the 1st lap, the 2nd lap, the 3rd lap, and the 4th lap,
but i didn't.
God orchestrated the perfect shuffle on my ipod too!
it started with
Need to Breath-Washed by the Water
in this song God said,
 forget your past, forget how heavy you are, forget all those times you have tried and failed.
you are covered in me and you can do this.
the next song was
Eli Young Band-Guinevere

I LOVE THIS SONG!
so that helped me take my mind off the pain.
it also made me smile because it says in the song "as much as she's running she's still here."
and i felt like i wasn't moving too fast at this point.
and the last song was
the Rocket Summer-Walls
God helped me break down my walls today.
the walls of thought that have been tearing me down
telling myself you can't do this
you're too fat,
you're too out of shape,your knees hurt,
you will never be an athlete again.
today, i broke through some of those walls.
i'm sure they will appear again, but when they do
i can look here and remember
the day they fell down.

after this life changing run i had a few side effects--
BEWARE: this could be gross.
but if you are feeling like running a mile
and you are really out of shape.
you deserve to hear these things.
  1. it is good to have music so you can't hear how hard you are breathing. 
  2. i could not stop spitting for about 15 minutes after the run.
  3. an hour and a half after the run my face was still bright red.
  4. my teeth hurt. i always thought this was an expression, but it's not. they really hurt.
  5. and i am embarrassed to say i almost vomited. probably because one of my favorite students brought me a bubble tea at work and i drank it about an hour before this run.
but good news, one symptom i did not have was hurting knees. they still don't hurt!
thank you Jesus.
i am so proud of myself.

2 comments:

  1. If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. ~Vincent Van Gogh

    Wahoo! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks bourne! i had that quote on a board in my house at OSU, i love that quote!

    ReplyDelete